you're reading...

CSM Townhall Meeting 03-02-2013

This transcript has been done during the CSM Townhall meeting on 03-02-2013. I did not record precises quotes. Nor do I try to attribute the statements to individual CSM members. Most statements are paraphrased  from what I understood as the main points of the answers.

The full podcast is available at EVERadio.

Please drop any corrections into the comments.

  • Question: customization of UI?
    • CCP will very probably not allow it
    • Art concerns and legacy code
  • New voting system: Can votes be transferred to another candidate by the candidate?
    • There will be changes to system and mechanics
    • Xhagen is (still) working on it
    • CSM does not know yet how it will look
  • EVE voice detached from client?
    • Should work from EVE gate
    • One of those things in the air but not really priority
    • Because many people already use third party tools
  • What about a Dust rep being elected by EVE players? How does CSM feel about it?
    • Depends on whether CSM cands are playing Dust themselves
    • Expertise would be welcome
    • but CSM will stay an EVE thing, bulk of work will be spend on EVE related work
  • CSM minutes on Dust sessions
    • should be released in the next weeks
  • Shortcuts: Deploy drones? New Drone UI?
    • CSM had asked CCP about that, CCP seems to do preliminary work on this
    • Not clear when this would be released
    • CCP agrees that it needs updating
  • How stakeholder status is working? POS thread? And what about new dev strategy?
    • Stakeholder process works “much better” than first half of term
    • Serious discussions before CSM winter meeting
    • Now more invites to meetings
    • More communication
    • More access to development material
    • More transparency on what is being worked on
    • It was clear from the beginning: It’s not going to be “just POS” from now on.
    • But make it clear how important it is
    • Best scenario: small fixes for summer
    • Thread has worked in the sense that CCP is now aware that many people are interested
    • New dev process promising in the sense of delivering a coherent development, but remains to be seen how well it will work
    • New stakeholder status also means that CSM8 will have a lot work to do (1-2 skype meetings per week + several documents) Candidates should be aware of this
  • News on Certificates?
    • certs not touched for about 3 years
    • not discussed in the recent past
  • Are there upcoming changes to New Player experience?
    • Still ongoing work on NPE
    • CCP is aware that this is important
    • Not clear what changes will be made
    • CSM has been shown a few things but not clear when this will appear
    • Within 2013 something new should come
  • Has CCP intentionally been avoiding changes to Nullsec?
    • Probably CCP just did not have it on the schedule
    • Should change (see minutes of winter meeting)
    • Discussions showed that CCP is aware of problems
    • CSM seems confident that something will happen in 2013
    • But not clear if this will be some dramatic change
    • New dev strategy has room for smaller changes to nullsec
    • Probably changes are going to be incremental
    • CCP will probably try to identify the small things that will make biggest impact
  • How should SOV work?
    • CSM perspective: Live off the land, farm the fields, people should be able to burn down the fields
    • But CSM cannot do game design
    • The broad concept can be implemented in many ways
    • Does “fix 0.0” mean “fix SOV” ? Maybe first fix why people should want to hold space at all!?
  • What about skill proliferation being a problem to newbies?
    • When new skills are introduced this should expand the present system, not be too specialized on a single feature
    • But: because of T1 re-balancing young players can be effective much quicker now, with less skillpoints
  • Any new ideas for PvE content?
    • Yes there are new ideas. CCP has large plans for PvE overhaul
    • When and if this comes depends on new planning process outcome
    • PvE vs “Solo” experiences … solo need not be classical PvE ?? There might be up something like this.
  • POS system: aren’t corp roles a serious issue?
    • Yes. CCP is aware that this is a serious issue
    • The system carries a lot of legacy code
  • Miner bumping, protection fees, will something be done about these problems?
    • “Working as planned”
    • Mining is not meant to be done half asleep
    • Harassment belongs to mining
    • Miners already got a big boost last year through barge revamp and new crime watch
  • Will it be possible to manage skills from outside client?
    • Might be possible through cresst
    • Might even come this year
  • Tesselation in EVE (there was a demo last fanfest)? When?
    • CSM does not know anything on the timelines
    • Don’t expect it too soon
  • Does the CSM have a background in agile development / SCRUM, did it serve CSM?
    • There are people on the CSM with experience
    • CCP has its own version of SCRUM
    • Somebody who wants to be on the CSM would profit from experience with for knowledge about agile development
    • Stakeholder process has a specific meaning inside the CCP methodology, CSM was pushing forward to really get included into the agile process at CCP
    • CSM has proven that they can work in the time constraints of that process
  • Any discussion on ingame skill-queues? Skill planner?
    • Has not been discussed yet.
    • CSM is glad and surprised that CCP discusses opening to third-party tools for this (edit mode)
  • Has CCP discussed changing the availability of moon minerals for T2 production?
    • There has been discussion with CCP, CSM has pressed for this
    • Move away from passive sources
    • Need active pilots in space to harvest
      • the more pilots you have in space the more money the alliance can make
    • Space should not be equally valuable to motivate conflict
    •  CSM wants to keep an eye on the development to provide early feedback
  • Voting reform?
  • Has Xhagen already given an update?
    • He wants to make changes, but no draft given yet.
  • CREST. Will CCP certify trusted 3rd party apps?
    • No.
    • There will be risk.
    • But there will be fine grained access rights, which you can give to an application.
    • The access rights management should be clear to users
  • What is CCP planning for the 100M+ SP players?
    • If we only knew….
    • So far we can only guess. Fix moon minerals, fix sov ….
  • Question from dust merc: Dust + EVE common economy, how will be this solved? EVE players have much more money compared to mercs!
    • We don’t know yet
    • CCP is very cautious about this, aware of problem
  • Update on wardec mechanics? What about perma-decs?
    • There has been a bit of discussion  between CSM and CCP
    • Different opinions inside CSM
    • Different opinions inside CCP
    • Difficult balancing
    • It’s going to be addressed but not clear when
    • Let’s hope that constructive discussions continue
  • Iteration on PI?
    • anybody agrees that UI needs love.
    • Idea: move this out of the client? onto IPad or similar…
    • Relation to Dust514 ?
    • Better integration into the economy? But this needs better UI to make it more attractive….
  • Other data formats other than XML for 3rd party producers?
    • CREST is JSON
    • Nothing else known
  • Drones as a weapons system? Further changes in the pipe? Re-balance drones (sentry/heavy…)?
    • Drones modules made drones very effective for PvP
    • Not clear whether CCP is thinking about this?
    • Maybe other weapons systems should be fixed first?
  • How to balance highsec and nullsec?
    • Decouple the two a bit? Add more fluidity in the systems?
    • Issue: Minerals in nullsec
    • CCP not happy with current dynamics
    • Both regions need something special
    • (Sov)Nullsec should have a bit more reward for a bit more risk
    • General feeling: highsec is working in principle and nullsec is broken.
    • Once sov is secured, nullsec is too secure, while taking sov is a nightmare
  • T2 BPOs, unfair? should they be removed?
    • General feeling: not really a problem
  • API will this be replaced by CREST?
    • Yes. Very probable
    • Ingame browser will probably not be improved
  • Further changes planned on Supers?
    • CCP will only change them once everything else is done (ship balancing wise)
    • The fact that there are maybe only 2 Asakai-style fights per year is a shame
    • Fozzie and Greyscale believe they should have a special role
    • Soon^tm
    • Probably it’s not just about tweaking some numbers
  • Was CSM informed of the sensor compensation skills introduction? What do you think about this?
    • General opinion: not happy about this
    • But also different opinions inside CSM
    • Pro: Allows specialization
    • Cons: Limited use, other modules were introduced without skill requirements, why not fix ECM instead?
  • How did your CSM platforms affect CCP during the term?
    • Common topic: CSM members are not Game Designers!
  • 6 out of 8 CSM7 members present are not running for CSM8. Why? And what about the other two?
    • Common topics: personal reasons, time budget, more time for playing the game
    • No final decision from Trebor (ETA 2 weeks) and UAxDEATH (ETA weeks)
  • Should CSM8 members be required to give their real life name?
    • CCP wants it public
    • there is a Jita Park Corner’s thread about this here


About chiralityeve

A rookie capsuleer exploring the depths of New Eden


4 thoughts on “CSM Townhall Meeting 03-02-2013

  1. Minor nitpick: That’s not “JASON” but “JSON“.

    Posted by Mary C. Titor | 03/02/2013, 23:22
  2. Thanks for your hard work in producing this summary.

    Posted by Trebor Daehdoow | 04/02/2013, 02:52

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Copyright Notice

EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.
%d bloggers like this: